Top 5 Reasons Why Working Out Is An Instant Mood Booster
Have you been feeling a little blue or just not yourself? It happens to the best of us. We all go through those moody times where we feel a little bit down, stressed out, angry or just in a bad mood. For me during those times, I know it’s really tempting to grab a glass of wine or a container of ice cream and wallow in my own little pity party, but experience has taught me better!
I’ve learned that working out will boost my mood and make me feel a whole lot better than that wine or ice cream will. I know! Hard to believe, right?! But I promise you, it’s totally true, working out is a great mood booster! Here are the top 5 reasons why working out is an instant mood booster.
- First, let’s talk science! When your mind is under stress, hormones like cortisol and adrenaline rise suddenly and powerfully, in your body. If that stress isn’t relieved then eventually those hormones can start affecting your memory and even put you at a higher risk for depression and anxiety. When you work out, your heart begins to beat faster and levels of neurochemicals in your body, like dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin go up. These neurochemicals rising in along with endorphins being released in your body, make you feel really good. Even after a short amount of exercise, these “feel good” effects can last for many hours.
- Working out can replenish your energy. I know after taking care of my little ones, my husband, tasks around the house and running errands all morning, by the afternoon I’m exhausted. You’d think I want to take a nap right? Wrong! Before I set my routine, that would have been the right answer, but things have changed. When I put the kids down to nap, I use the time to get in a quick workout. At home workout programs are perfect for this! Check out the program that I follow here. Taking a nap usually makes me feel more tired and even a bit lazy but working out gives me a nice boost of energy that takes me through the rest of the day and into the night without being tired and grumpy.
- From day 1, when you start working out, before you even have a chance to see results you will feel better about your body and yourself. You will give your self esteem and confidence an instant boost and that will make you happy. Confidence is KEY when it comes to pushing through your journey in order to reach your goals. Working out gives you a sense of power and pride immediately, because even though it will take time to see results, you have taken the first step toward achieving your fitness goals. There is an instant gratification that you will feel after that workout. So get sweaty, push yourself, and you will feel amazing!
- Have trouble sleeping? Insomnia is something that many people suffer from that causes negative effects in their life. Not getting enough sleep eventually takes a toll on your mood, productivity and thought process. No surprise here that working out helps! I challenge you to find out for yourself. Make time in your day to get in at least a 25 minute workout. I say MAKE time in your day because you don’t just find time, you make time for it. Make it a priority. When it comes time catch some z’s, you will find that you fall asleep easier and faster. You will also sleep better and more soundly with less tossing, turning and waking up throughout the night. Score!
- Did you ever have an argument with someone or just get really angry at someone or something and it affected your mood for the entire day or even longer? Next time, instead of stewing in your anger and letting it get the best of you, go work out instead. A brisk walk, lift some weights, do some squats or go running. You will notice that your anger starts to diminish almost instantly. It will help to clear your mind and your heart, allowing you to go back later and deal with the situation with composure.
At this point, if you’re still skeptical…make like Nike and JUST DO IT . Working out is not only good for you and your health in the long term, it’s an instant mood booster in so many ways. If you don’t already work out, take today to make the change! Feel the rush of the instant gratification of a personal accomplishment. Boost that confidence and your current mood. Do you work out when you need your mood boosted? I would love to hear about your work out and how it gets you through those bad moods!
Live happy. Live healthy.