This may seriously be one of the easiest and quickest recipes I have made. Tuesdays are busy in our house and we are running out the door at dinnertime to get to dance class. So I have to either make a crockpot meal, serve leftovers, or whip up something super quick. Tonight it was option #3. Wow this was easy. For the kids though, I made a side of organic rice noodles and sauced it with the juice from the recipe.
1 large eggplant
Sea salt and Pepper
Optional: 1 garlic clove, minced
Handful of cherry tomatoes (if in a pinch you can use a can of diced tomatoes- choose an organic no sodium can)
½ cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to broil, and make sure the top rack is in the highest position, about 6 inches from the broiler.
- Slice the eggplant into thin rounds, about ¼ to ½ an inch thick.
- Dice the tomatoes into small chunks and be sure to save the juice.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Lay the sliced eggplant on the baking sheet, coat both sides with oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and minced garlic if you wish.
- Put the tray in the oven to broil for about 4-5 minutes, but watch it carefully. Depending on the strength of your broiler it can go from golden to charred in a matter of seconds.
- Once the top of the eggplant is lightly browned, flip the slices over, season with more salt and pepper, and place back under the broiler for 4-5 more minutes.
- Remove and place in a deep baking dish. Layer the eggplant and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and broil for another 8 minutes or so, until cheese is melted and starts to brown a bit.
- Serve and enjoy!
21 Day Fix approved: 1 green, 1/2 purple, 1/2 blue