One of the most important things that you can do to ensure a happy life is to love and appreciate yourself. Sometimes we don’t give ourselves the appreciation that we really deserve. So often we give and give and give and then by the end of the day, we have nothing left to give. You might be thinking, “of course I love myself”, but do you actually take the time to show self-love and self-appreciation? For most of us, the answer is no.
Here are 14 ways to express self love.
- Treat yourself to a spa day. Get pampered and take some time to just relax and not worry about the day to day stuff. It can be a massage or even something as simple as a manicure. After a short spa day, you’re sure to feel like a million bucks.
- Treat yourself. A small “treat” can go a long way. Maybe you get the pair of shoes you have been eyeing up, or some new workout gear. “Splurging” on yourself is necessary every once in a while, after all, you are awesome!
- Make a list of 10 things that you love about yourself. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else while doing this. We all have flaws, but we need to focus more on all of our good qualities. Once you see how amazing you are it will be even easier to love yourself!
- Take a walk. Not your usual multi-tasking kind of walk where you are running errands and making phone calls on the run. Put on some headphones with a playlist you love and just walk. Stroll leisurely, taking the time to observe and enjoy everything around you and be alone with your thoughts.
- Go on a date… with yourself. Dinner and a movie, a night of dancing, lunch and an afternoon at your favorite museum; whatever you desire, make it happen! You can even buy yourself a bouquet of your favorite flowers. After all, you’re worth it.
- Call someone you love but don’t get to speak to often. Give yourself the gift of love and friendship by sharing a special conversation with a special person. Make it a weekly thing.
- Find a new passion. Yes, we are passionate about our jobs and our families but when was the last time you tried something new. Pick something you have never done but always wanted to try. If it doesn’t spark your passion, try the next thing on your list and keep going until you find something that wows you.
- Plan a trip. Go away and create memories that you will always cherish. Where have you always wanted to go?
- Eat healthier and exercise more. It’s one of the best ways to love yourself. Fuel your body with good things and treat it right because it will always be with you.
- Forgive, even if you can’t forget. Holding anger or a grudge towards someone is kind of like holding your breath to make someone else suffocate. At the end of the day you are only hurting yourself. Let go of old grudges, forgive those who have wronged you even if you are only doing it for yourself. You will feel so much better.
- Write down positive affirmations. Learn to accept your flaws and grow. Look at yourself and say, “I know that I am not perfect. I __________ (fill in the blank with your biggest flaw), but I am a good person and a work in progress. I love myself.” It may sound corny, but I promise you it does something. You start to realize that even with imperfections, you are still a great person and deserve to be loved for the good as well as the bad. I think it’s also a great way to boost self esteem.
- Surround yourself with beauty. Whatever you consider beautiful is just fine. Maybe you love plant and flowers, sculptures, paintings; whatever it is, when you look at yourself and your surroundings, you should see beauty. Be grateful and appreciate all of your life blessings.
- Learn something new. Take a class or study something on your own. Go to the library or go online and expand your knowledge. Wish you could cook? Try a cooking class. Trying to get fit? Grab a buddy and hit the gym. Dying to learn a new language? Get started on that now.
- Wear something every day that makes you smile. It can be a favorite dress, a family heirloom, a colorful pair of socks or a piece of jewelry. No matter what you put on each day, at least one part of your outfit should really make you smile.
We may think we are too busy, or it’s too extravagant, or it’s just not that important to show self-love. We may even feel a little bit guilty for showing ourselves love. The truth is, you must show yourself love and appreciation. It will help you to acknowledge all the good things you do and are grateful for in your life. And let’s face it, when you feel great, you make everyone around you feel great too!